Maternity Session Prep and Guidelines
Thank you for choosing me to document this special time in your life. To help you prepare for your upcoming pregnancy photography session, here are a few guidelines you may want to follow.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions that you might have!
Your comfort is most important, please be assured that this is my priority during your maternity session. I strive to not only capture beautiful moments for you and your partner, but also make the experience enjoyable and comfortable. As a woman, I understand the strong desire for your portraits to be as flattering as possible during your pregnancy!
- Please allow about an hour or more for your maternity photo session. Please don’t schedule any other appointments or activities for right after your photo shoot, so that you can relax and enjoy your photo session, and not feel rushed.
- You may want to have a light snack before the photo session. Keep that blood sugar up!
- Don’t wear anything with elastic on your belly for a few hours before your session to avoid unflattering markings on your belly. Watches and some other jewelry can have this same effect. Don’t forget about your feet—tight socks can leave marks too!
- Put a moisturizing lotion on your belly right before you come to your photo shoot, and on any other dry skin that you might have. Use a regular lotion, with no shimmer, glitter, or sparkle to it.
- Since your hands and feet will most likely be showing in the photos, please have nicely manicured nails—whatever suits your personal style. A french manicure or clear nail polish photographs MUCH better than colored polish, especially in black and white portraits.
- If you can still wear your wedding ring, please bring it, and make sure it is clean and sparkly. You may also bring any jewelry that is special to you. You’ll want to keep your jewelry subtle, so that it is not too distracting.
- Bring any special toy or gift that you have for the new baby that you would like included in your portraits. For instance, tiny newborn shoes or one of your ultra sound photos of baby.
- Clothing: my style is to keep it simple. Your comfort level determines what clothing will be used. You can bring a few outfits that we can discuss at the start of the session. Some suggestions: a soft flowing dress, form-fitting shirts or camis, strapless top, a big man-tailored shirt, pre-pregnancy jeans. Please avoid prints, stripes, bright colors and any logos!
- If you are coming to the studio you may want to bring a nude strapless bra and nude panties as I have a selection of gowns and wraps. Some are strapless and transparent.
- If your partner is coming to the session, please have him dress in a neutral shirt and jeans, or something similar.
- Also, if you have seen maternity images that you like, bring them along. It’s my goal to create images that suit your unique vision of your pregnancy, and I will do my best to give you what you want.